Now this is just a short article on how to make yourself smarter. It is really quite simple, but not many people actually ‘practice’ the simple steps necessary. In fact a lot of people practice exactly the opposite and as a result make themselves dumber. That sucks.
I have a simple system in life where I say that every choice we make in life puts us closer to the CRAP end of a continuum or closer to the GREAT end. And obviously (I hope ;-)), the aim is to spend over 80% of your time up the GREAT end.
So now back to being smarter. There is obviously a number of things that you can do along the way, but I believe that when it comes time to make that GREAT decision; the aim is to be as relaxed as possible. Ever notice how the most relaxed person is able to handle the crisis in life the easiest. I know that if there is a crisis happening I want the calm person in charge, rather than the person that is blowing their top.
And the reasons that ‘calm’ makes you smarter are:
- Your stomach is not contracted – making you breath easier
- Because of the above you draw in more oxygen
- Muscles are not contracted, allowing for better blood flow (which is more oxygenated because of more oxygen)
- More oxygenated blood to the brain
- Blood is not flowing to your muscles, so you have more blood for your major organs (including your brain)
- You remain more conscious of the whole picture (the more tense you get the narrower your focus becomes)
- The higher your heart rate and blood pressure the more quickly you get tired
I could keep going, but I am sure you get the message now. My other saying is that by getting angry (or agitated / annoyed / etc) you actually make yourself dumber.
So here’s to being calm. Here’s to being smarter. And here’s to spending a lot more time at the GREAT end of life…Einstein. 😉